PROJECT SCIENTIST POSITIONS
The School of Medicine, Department of Surgery, Beckman Laser Institute, located at the University of California, Irvine, is anticipating openings for Project Scientists, Assistant and Associate Project Scientists to work with our Faculty & Researchers. Applicants must have expertise for the design and construction of novel new laser-based optical microscopes. Applicants should have proven experience in the application of these new technologies, which are focused around photonics and laser interactions in a focused microscope spot. Candidate must be able to provide physics and optics expertise and at the same time, work specifically to integrate various new optical technologies into current systems. Experience in molecular biology and cell culture is also desirable. Candidates for this position should hold a Ph.D. and should have close to five years of postdoctoral training. They should possess the ability to work in an interdisciplinary team setting.
TO APPLY: Please log onto UC Irvine’s RECRUIT located https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/JPF06458
Thomas E. Milner, Ph.D., seeks Project Scientists, all levels, for the Milner Lab at the Beckman Laser Institute & Medical Clinic, University of California, Irvine (UCI). The Milner lab is broadly interested in developing novel optical microscope and laser medical technologies, physics, and optics to integrate various new imaging technologies including current and novel optical imaging systems.
Highly motivated candidates with a recent Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, or equivalent encouraged to apply.
The preferred candidate must have at least 5 years of experience in,
• The field of image guided fiber-laser surgical procedures in neurosurgery, neuro-oncology, cardiology, and vascular treatment.
• Optical coherence tomography (OCT), photothermal imaging, speckle imaging, photothermal OCT, intravascular OCT, OCT angiography and speckle imaging.
• Construction of fiber lasers, trained on fiber processing tools like Vytran and Fujikura, construction of short pulsed fiber lasers, modeling of fiber lasers, fiber tip processing, optical design with fibers.
The preferred candidate must also have at least 5 years of expertise in,
• Design of optical systems; fabrication of optical systems with high power fiber lasers and fiber optic system fabrication; optical design and assembly of systems involving spectrometers, scanning systems, etc.
• Field of tissue optics, laser-tissue interaction, monte carlo simulations and laser-tissue surgery. Simulation tools including ZEMAX, COMSOL, MATLAB, C/C++ programming.
• Image processing tools like ImageJ, image processing on a GPU, MATLAB.
• Experience with neural networks on optical coherence tomography images, processing of high frequency ultrasound and photoacoustic images.
The preferred candidate must also have prior experience working on,
• Regulatory submissions to the FDA. Medical device manufacturing and testing expertise in regulatory submission involving IEC60601-1 and 510(k) submissions.
• Emergency use authorization (EUAs) devices with the FDA.
• Writing proposals for the NIH, NSF, DoD or other federal funding agencies.
In addition to the above, any preferred candidate must have at least three years of expertise in high frequency ultrasound and opto-acoustics/photo-acoustics.
Writing IACUC protocols for animal studies with novel devices.
The Lab is on the UCI campus and equipped with state-of-the-art facilities. Successful candidates will join an interdisciplinary and collaborative team collaborating with various partners. Successful candidates will enjoy innovative research and beautiful southern California.
Submit the following materials via UC Irvine’s online application system, RECRUIT, found at: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/JPF06458,
• Curriculum Vitae
• One-page proposed statement of research on the important problem/question you want to address, specific aims, and approaches
• A statement addressing past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equality, and inclusion
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy. A recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity, UCI is responsive to the needs of dual career couples, supports work-life balance through an array of family-friendly policies, and is dedicated to broadening participation in higher education.