MESSAGE FROM THE INTERIM DIRECTOR
With over 30 years of substantial growth, UCI Beckman Laser Institute & Medical Clinic is internationally recognized as a leader in optics, photonics and translational medicine. The Institute proudly houses 24 faculty and more than 200 staff, students and researchers from nine departments in the UCI Schools of Medicine, Engineering, Physical Sciences and Biological Sciences.
Significant progress. Our unique interdisciplinary environment spans the range from basic science and technology development to clinical translation and commercialization – all under one collaborative umbrella – which has allowed us to make meaningful progress in important areas of science and medicine. Our scientists are developing technologies with the potential to radically change healthcare by:
- Diagnosing disease in its earliest stages.
- Utilizing non-invasive patient monitoring techniques.
- Discovering new therapies for conditions that were previously considered untreatable.
This is just the beginning. We have seen more than 90,000 patients in our medical clinic alone and we need your support as we innovate and explore new frontiers that have the potential to impact millions of lives. Partner with us in accelerating the transformation of life-changing technologies from the laboratory benchtop to the patient bedside. A few technologies that are in development include:
- Laser targeted therapies that can pass the blood brain barrier and destroy tumors, leaving normal brain tissue – and function – unscathed.
- Imaging markers to treat breast cancer, obesity and vascular disease, and enhance muscle mass and brain function while exercising.
- More effective assessment of burns that can save damaged tissue and prevent scarring and loss of mobility.
I invite you to learn more about UCI Beckman Laser Institute & Medical Clinic. Please join us as we help shape the future of medicine!
Matt Brenner, M.D.
Professor of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary
Interim Director, UCI Beckman Laser Institute & Medical Clinic