MESSAGE FROM THE INTERIM DIRECTOR
With over 30 years of substantial growth, Beckman Laser Institute & Medical Clinic is internationally recognized as a leader in optics, photonics and translational medicine. The Institute proudly houses 22 faculty and more than 150 staff, students and researchers from 11 departments in the Schools of Medicine, Engineering, Physical Sciences and Biological Sciences.
Significant Progress. Our unique interdisciplinary environment balances basic science, technology development, clinical translation and commercialization; all under one collaborative roof. Optics and photonics technologies developed at the Institute have the potential to radically change the way healthcare is delivered. Beckman Laser Institute & Medical Clinic is leading the way in:
- Diagnosing disease in its earliest stages.
- Utilizing non-invasive patient monitoring techniques.
- Discovering new therapies for conditions that were previously untreatable.
This is just the beginning. We have treated more than 90,000 patients in our medical clinic alone and we need your support as we innovate and explore new frontiers that have the potential to impact millions of lives. Partner with us to move ideas out of our labs for broader dissemination to the clinic and marketplace. A few technologies that are in development include:
- Laser targeted therapies that can pass the blood brain barrier and destroy tumors, leaving normal brain tissue – and function – unscathed.
- Imaging markers to treat breast cancer, obesity and vascular disease, and enhance muscle mass and brain function while exercising.
- More effective assessment of burns that can save damaged tissue and prevent scarring and loss of mobility.
I invite you to learn more about Beckman Laser Institute & Medical Clinic. Join us as we shape the future of medicine.
Matt Brenner, M.D.
Professor of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
Interim Director, Beckman Laser Institute & Medical Clinic